Wednesday 15 February 2012

The Incredible Stiff Pen Shell





I did a little research today...as my husband has been under the weather all day...hopefully nothing serious...


We have been finding these shells all along the beach...but I never knew what they were called....after a lot of fine tuning on the internet, I finally came up with the name....Stiff Pen Shell...
The photo above was some design somebody put together with them....there are so many....
The info I came up with for this photo I took, is that after the Pen Shell gets beached, the freshly dead muscle of the animal, expells itself from the shell....YUCK...I thought it was a jelly-fish wrapped around it...
They range from 6-12 inches long....they have 6-8 ribs along them...if they are bigger, they are called Sawtooth Pen Shells..


Someone put this one upright...in the shape of a heart...for valentines...
This one has slipper shells, barnacles and other marine life attached to it...now you know as much as I do about Penn shells.....Happy??


A lot of people rent bicycles, and bike along the beach...they usually have a big strip of wet sand up their butts!!!!

If you look closely at the bottom of the photo...yup...there he is sticking his face in all my photos....

Gotta love that....

Hope my husband feels better tomorrow....:o)









2 comments:

  1. Another interesting and educational post! Those shells are really quite beautiful and who knew?
    The beach looks amazing! Hope Greg is better!
    It is raining here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Devon....he is better today

    the beach is amazing...lots more photos to come!!

    see you soon

    linda:o)

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....