Monday 19 December 2011

Another Gloomy...But Mild Day....Now For Something Completely Different

 The topic of the day, has , obviously been Christmas...and assorted decorations etc.  So, I thought.... (oh oh...there's trouble)....why not share a few of the furry, feathered friends that I have caught on film, over the last little while.


There seems to be a never-ending parade of nature always crossing my path. From flowers to these next few little friends. I am an avid bird watcher, and I will just show you a few that I have had visit my yard here at home, and at my cottage.






This male black-capped chickadee delighted us last Spring at the cottage. 
He was mating, and kept attacking his own reflection in the mirror on our kitchen porch. We took the mirror down , but he quickly found another mirror on the side of the garden shed! It was cute, but sad at the same time..He eventually moved on, but wore himself out, "attacking" the other male chickadee!!!!




 These gorgeous horses didn't actually "visit" us, but they are on one of the roads we take to the lake, and I couldn't resist taking their picture! They are Clydesdale horses....I remember my Dad had 2 when I was a young girl...lovely..




Thought of my youth, and decided to add them to my collection.










This little guy, appeared on my kitchen steps last spring....hopped into one of the  hostas I have in  baskets, and was quite happy there for several weeks....then he was suddenly gone!!




He would appear late afternoon, to sun himself on the sunporch steps, for a late day siesta!!


I captured this possum in my bird feeder at home!! Just climbed in, adn proceeded to stuff his face with seeds!








One evening in September, my husband and I were soaking up the last of the sun on the deck at the lake, when we were surrounded by dragonflies...must have been a mass migration of some sort ...When we stood up, they were actually running into us..I made a small movie of the event...unbelievable...the next morning, there was one perfect dragonfly on our table, on the deck.....unfortunately he was dead...but STILL...amazing







This little guy walked up my front walk at home...the detail of these creatures is awesome...check out the black spikes on his back!!

This snail happily lived in one of my kalanchoes!

Don't get me wrong....I love bunnies...but this guy came every evening to feast on my young spring plants...he particularly liked one  of my perennial grasses






This is one of my favorites...we were having the floor re-done on our sunporch, so I removed all of my planters etc. When I brought my baskets back onto the porch, this guy was inside!!! I was walking by the porch, and saw him standing up against the side looking out!! We helped him to safety, and he hopped away

Another snail....just poking along beside the pool






Caught this red squirrel at the lake...helping himself to the bird seed...when I shooed him away...he turned and stared at me....." are you talking to me?"

Beautiful butterfly on the lilacs...not sure what kind






Red Breasted Grosbeak at home. These guys only come by the feeders in the spring...very large and brightly colored.


Always lots of cardinals...I think they are my favorite..very shy, and patient eaters...scare easily...they love peanuts in the shell





He joined us for easter dinner one year...came right up the dining room sliding doors..."please sir...could I have some more?"

This tiny Junco sat on our kitchen window looking at us!!! Where's the food??






To end this post, our favorite "pest"..I want you to meet "Red"..our backyard red squirrel...he runs the place!!! Forever begging for food...ripped our BBQ cover apart to line his nest... but we love him...chases the black squirrels away....which is a good thing...he is just part of our yard!!! You have to admit....he is pretty darn cute!!




                      Hopefully this was a nice diversion from all the christmas regalia. The posts that I have been visiting lately are UNBELIEVABLE...so many talented ladies out there...I can't compete with them, but I hope to add my spin on things..
                             Have a great day....the sun is supposed to come out tomorrow...but chillier...........Cheers
                                                                          :o)

1 comment:

  1. Wow you sure live among nature, I thought we had a lot of wild life but girl you've got me beat! Merry Christmas
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....