Thursday 30 August 2012

Just Peachy.....



Yesterday I decided to make some peach freezer jam...

I used to do this sort of thing all the time...now it seems like quite an effort on my part...guess I am getting old....or...just older...that sounds better..

Score the peaches on one end, and immerse in boiling water for 1 minute...then plunge into ice water for a minute...it is amazing how the peel practically slides off the peaches..




Here is what they look like before the skin came off....Aren't they a beautiful blushing colour???


Look how easily the skin comes off...and how juicy!!! My boyfriend sent me a video showing this method...and let me tell you...it is the best!!! I usually end up peeling with a knife, and wasting a lot of the flesh...Do try this if you plan on making anything with peaches...





All peeled...

Chopped...

Came up a bit short of 8 cups of peaches, so I added a few strawberries from the fridge...

Should be yummy...don't you think??

 A few odd jars from my cupboard..


4 cups of fruit...

1 1/2 cups sugar...

1 packet of Club House No Cook Freezer Jam...

A bit of stirring...and VOILA...

The sugar canister to the right, is from my wedding shower....40 years ago...

I still have the flour  and tea canisters....

My kitchen, as a newly-wed, was black, white and red...

Hence these beauties!!




I think my tupperware measuring cups are about 35 years old...

Can't tell you how many kiddies have visited, and I have filled them with cheerios, or they just loved to stack them and take them apart...  Very cheap entertainment...I tell 'ya!!

And here is the finished product....6 jars of jam...3 hours of work...

                Didn't have any labels...so I improvised...perhaps a Hostess

                     Gift during the Holiday Season...My boyfriend already has one

                        defrosting.....he is the real lover of Peach Jam...  :o)



        Hope you all had a great day...Isn't this weather glorious...

          Looking forward to the Long Weekend...and the Full Moon...

                    Hopefully a few more swims at the Lake....the water is still

                       75 degrees.........FANTASTIC!!!!!

             

                                    Cheers!   :o)

                                         linda

8 comments:

  1. Peach jam has always been my favorite! Enjoyed the pictures--made my mouth water too. (Jumped over here from your comment on my blog, Living From The Heart.) Now I'm a follower! I like your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Don....the more the merrier!!!

      Delete
  2. I can see why your boyfriend sent you that video ... he wanted some jam :) :)
    The jam looks delicious and I assume there is no problem freezing in the jars? Do you leave a bit of head space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend is a sneaky beggar,eh???
      Yes...left space at the top...the jars come thru AOK...
      Have a great weekend...

      Delete
  3. I love that you threw a few strawberries in. A childhood friend's mother used to make red raspberry/peach jam that was absolutely wonderful. Too bad red raspberries aren't growing in my yard. (And perhaps too bad also that peaches are so expensive this year. They're my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha...the basket cost me $4.99..not bad for 6 jars, I guess..
      I think I am going to get some raspberries next week, and make a few jars...it is soooo good on ice cream!!

      Delete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....