Thursday 9 August 2012

Thrifty Thursday......

When I first decided to do "Thrifty Thursday"...I thought perhaps once a month I would share my thrift shopping with you...

But.......

Last week was SO fabulous, I had to do another one this week...

Picked up 3 eyelet bedskirts...
2 twins and 1 double...$5 for all 3!!!

Can you believe that????

I couldn't wait to get to the cottage...and put them into use...

The twin beds look soooo much better with the skirts...really softens the look...The quilts have a good story...One of them is from my daughters room, when she was in a twin bed...the other I found at Bi-Way [remember bi-way!!!] after we bought the cottage...such a stroke of luck...
This room also houses most of my paint-by-number finds over the years... don't you just love paint-by-numbers??  I remember doing them when I was a kid...gosh....wish they were still around...  We also had this window put into this room, as it is not on the water side, and needed some more light...as it faces west, it added lots of sunshine and warmth...  :o)

The iron bed came with the cottage, and when we purchased new twin mattresses, I simply put the footboard as the 2nd headboard...








The double bed, is the other guest room..

On the water side, it gets plenty of light and breezes from the lake..


The bed skirt really finishes this up, as well...more cosy and inviting...

The side pink and green table is the original paint color, from the previous owners...the head board looks like wood, but is actually made of Tin...
I removed the footboard, when we purchased the new mattress and box...

I really like this room...  :o)

The wooden carving above the bed was another thrifty buy for $1... I have actually found 3 that are similar...kind of a wooden inlay design...the others are downstairs in the living room...

The 2 praying girls also came with the cottage...









This is our bedroom....

Got us some new Tommy Hilfiger sheets,so after making the bed up....I took a picture....

They are really nice cotton....

Had a great sleep on them last weekend...

The dresser came with the cottage...

My daughter painted it yellow for me...

The bedrooms were all dark brown panelling...they have all been painted...

One yellow...
One blue...
One pale green...

All Martha Stewart colors...love them!!





Picked up this cute cream and sugar for $1...

I love the 3 square legs,
and the circles at the top..

Nice chunky handle, as well..














This pair of pillowcases was my last purchase that day...

After washing and ironing, I realized they were actually crocheted with cotton yarn on the edges...

A row of crochet....white rick-rack...
A row of pale pink, dark pink, and white cotton yarn after the rick-rack...

Beautiful!!!!!

$1.......






         So.......What do you think????  I spent a grand total of $7.50...

                     I think I got some really good thrifty buys...

                         Who knows what this week will bring...

           Hope you all had a good day....


                               Cheers!         :o)
                                     linda

13 comments:

  1. I think you did really well. I have an eyelet bedskirt just the same. And I love the edging on the pillow cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving Thrifty Thursdays! Nice to see all your fab buys! Love those beautiful pillow cases with the crocheted edges....gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pillowcases...so intricate...

      Delete
  3. Nice finds! The best just look great! I love thrift store shopping... it's on my short list of favorite things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Done Linda,
    Your home looks wonderful and stylish, all your thrifty purchases look so in keeping with your cottage home, beautiful! What I love is the fact that nobody else will have quite the same items, they are unique and truly treasure. My friends and family always spot something they like when they visit me, I guess we all look in envy at your beautiful homes too. Now I have some inspiration I will get searching......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa...our weekend cottage is a wonderful get-a-way for us...I love decorating with thrift finds out there...our "home" is also a great place to be...I get many compliments here as well...

      Delete
  5. Your cottage is a place to dream. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a rooster coffee mug at Goodwill for .99 this week. Does that count?

    I like the look of your cottage. My daughter has a "little house" outside. Her daddy built it for her 7th birthday ten years ago. I think it would be fun to dress it up if I could just keep the kids I babysit out of it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we looking at different sides of the same lake or is your cottage on the "other" one?

      Delete
    2. Our weekend cottage is on the north shore of Lake Erie...on the canadian side...niagara region...

      Delete
    3. Oh, well, then I am looking across a different lake, aren't I? But I have looked across Lake Erie from the northern shore too, just not this year. We made several visits last year but didn't get much farther west than Crystal Beach where my MIL used to live.

      Delete
  7. I love the rooms! Where do you go antiquing? I hope you have a wonderful (and dry) week!

    Sandy xox

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....