Thursday 16 August 2012

The Time Had Come......


We had our front walkway done with interlocking and wood, at least 25 years ago...

The wood was kinda rotten, and the stones had sagged in spots.

 I started painting the wooden part around 5 years ago, and it really DID make it look better.

But....
The time had come...

The first picture shows what it looked like in mid-June of this year...

Not too hard on the eyes...

But...
The time had come...

SO....we got to work...
Digging out the hostas....all 15 of them...ran into a lot of roots and junk..

This is what it looked like afterwards....

Pretty sad...





   We stored the Hostas in our wheelbarrow...and a huge container...watering
                     every day or so....ended up to be 8 days total...not for the new
                                  walkway...but until I could get organized...to go
                 and buy soil, pea gravel... etc...
The first day was ripping out all of the old stuff...a very good days work...





The they got to work, with the new tumbled pavers ....

Good thing we dug up the Hostas...see where that guy on the right is standing!!!

I would guess.....right on a Hosta!!!

I extended the steps right to the house...

Makes for a much nicer, wider step...

We had a few rainy days in between, so it ended up taking 5 days...instead of what they thought would be 3 days...

That brings us to Monday...

So yesterday...I hit the Greenhouse...
Got the soil
pea gravel
And I bought 3 Cone Flowers and 2 Miscanthus grasses..

Just to fancy things up a bit...






First...i did a good thorough cleaning..
and raking...

Roots, bricks,sticks etc

Then I put everything in place..

To see how it all looked...

I split a few of the Hostas while I
had them out of the ground...

I am liking this....

A LOT!!!! 

 Then I planted.....dug....planted some more....dug....planted...spread the new soil....

I think you get the picture!!!

About 3 hours of good sweaty work....I actually enjoy this aspect of gardening
the most....getting into the dirt and moving things around...

Got out the broom...swept everything nice...

Then for a good soaking....ahhhhhh..that looks great...

I really prefer the wider step....

Really......:o)








This is what it looks like from inside
looking out..

We are really pleased with the results...

What do you think????







Hope you all have a great day...

And a great weekend...

Had Vivian and her Mom over for dinner yesterday...she slept like a little angel...:o)


                                Cheers!      :o)
                                      linda

6 comments:

  1. I love the new steps and path, a wonderful improvement to the front of your home. The plants are a lovely finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that looks great! The poor old hostas probably wondered what the heck is she up to now!! Lots of work - but worth it....nice job kiddo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I too want a path. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new path ALOT. Good idea extending the steps to the wall. Makes for a much more open entrance way. Your plantings look good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new path ALOT. Good idea extending the steps to the wall. Makes for a much more open entrance way. Your plantings look good, too!

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....