Monday 23 September 2013

A Few Fancy...Fabulous..Fall Grasses...

This particular Miscanthus greets you as you approach the kitchen porch...

These 2 very tall Miscanthus are right at the fence line...They don't have their plumes as yet...but will show you again when they do!!! These are about 12 feet tall!!


This Miscanthus is a transplant, from the big ones surrounding the deck...I dug it up in the spring, and planted it here, in the beach garden. I will dig it up, and either transplant it, or over-winter in a big pot...They are VERY difficult to divide, but I was lucky enough to cut off a few fresh shoots, when rearranging the dirt form the deck!
There are 2 of these bushier, more compact Miscanthus, on either side of the new deck...These don't send out runners like the larger Miscanthus, and keep their nice round shape...

I have at least a dozen of these Sea Oats Grass...and they spread like crazy!!! They seem to re-seed everywhere, which is fine with me!! Another nice grass to clip, and add to my winter arrangements...






These were all taken last Friday...

On a very dull day...

Except for that one glimmer of hazy sun.....

At the end of the day....

Hope you all had a fabulous day!!!



And...

That you enjoyed a few of my grasses...


                                     Cheers!  :o)
                                        linda

17 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and header to . I like the tall grasses blowing in a fall breeze they are soo pretty !. Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my new header...everytime I log on...I feel refreshed!! ha!

      Delete
  2. I have never been a fan of grasses but after seeing yours I am thinking of planting some. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Birdie....good luck!
      And...they will be 1/2 price very soon!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful grasses, Linda. I have a couple of types here and they're so low-maintenance, my favorite kind of plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in the spring...when we have to chop them down...we curse a lot! hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous clumps of grasses. The ones I planted last fall didn't do too well this year ... a few plumes but I was noticing today some new growth. Hopefully they survive the winter and do better next year. Daughter and son in law are moving to a new property and there are lots and lots of grasses so perhaps I'll be able to get some divisions in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will, Linda...once they are established!

      Delete
  5. I love your tall grass! I think lawn mowers are over-rated.


    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these grasses. There are so many varieties out there and I don't even have one. I need to smarten up and step out of the gardening box and plant some different things. Now to just get my husband on board! Maybe next year. Do they grow that big in a first year? Do you have to divide them often? Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa there Pam....no, they don't grow that much in one year...These are 10 years old already...But..if you put them in a sunny spot...and water the heck out of them, they will do fine!!
      No dividing necessary...unless you want extra plants!

      Delete
  7. We chop ours in the fall, after they've turned brown. It's always fun to see how tall they get again the next season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your grasses Linda, especially the miscanthus. I think that I need some more grasses....

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....