Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday Bread











 I have never baked bread before....in my ENTIRE life...

Oh, sure...I've made Pillsbury 
biscuits....hasn't everyone???

But never made bread from
SCRATCH....

 I had never really had the urge...
until I was watching "Chuck's Day Off" on the Food Network,
and he made "No Knead Bread"...
and it looked pretty darn easy.



So...I got my husband to print out the recipe for me....

That was about 5 weeks ago....then I stalled....couldn't find the whole wheat flour....bought 

 the yeast....had all the other ingredients....still no whole wheat flour....Until "somebody" 

walked in with a bag of whole wheat flour.....now....I had to perform....or, just shut up about

 ever making the bread...... not so fast, I say... kind of under my breath...'cause after all it was MY idea!!!   :o)

and that was about 3 weeks ago....so TODAY WAS THE DAY!!  I already had the oven 

going with COFFEE CAKE AND 2 BANANA BLUEBERRY LOAVES.....I said....WHAT THE 

HECK!!!









 And to my surprise.....look what came out of the oven!!!!   I was shocked!!!! Especially when 

I missed the whole bit about heavily greasing the pans....I had to perform surgery to get 

them out in one piece....but aren't they beauties!!!!!  Delicious enough to eat......







 And so I did.......quite delicious.....light....flaky crust....it's a beautiful thing!!!!




recipe:  No Knead Bread

3 cups very warm water
1 tbsp dry active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp veg oil [I used canola]
1 tbsp vinegar
3 cups white flour
21/2-3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp coarse salt   [I used sea salt]


Mix together in a large bowl...yeast, sugar, water...allow to bubble and foam
wait a few minutes....then add vinegar and oil

Add the white flour cup by cup stirring well after each addition
Add whole wheat flour with salt...cup by cup..stirring well
 Dough will be wet and spongy   [I can attest to that...I didn't know what to expect]
Cover with a damp towel, let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes [not really sure if mine rose or not]

Using a big spatula spoon into WELL GREASED loaf pans[did you all get that....well greased...not NO GREASE...which is what I did]

Press the sides down with your finger

With a knife, make 3 or 3 slits   [mine wouldn't do this....too spongy] 

Sprinkle the tops with seasonings if desired...steak spice or raw sugar..
I left mine plain...

Bake loaves for about 50 minutes at 375 degrees...[mine didn't take that long]

Let sit....if you can wait...for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with butter
                     or jam......or peanut butter [which I am out of]


                            Enjoy.......love to hear your results if you try the recipe...

oh yeah....best to freeze the 2nd loaf...unless you have some hungry people over!!!


Hope you all had a great Sunday....supposed to be in for quite a storm tomorrow...

If you are driving..........take it easy......be back soon


                  Cheers!                 :o)

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! The recipe looks like something even I could make! Wonder if it works with gluten free flours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! what a beautiful production you had going! Nothing like the smell of bread baking! My grandmother's bread made the BEST toast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon:
    Don't know much about the gluten-free flour...do you use it like white in other things you make??? Then I am sure it would do just fine...worth a try...but remember to GREASE your pans!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you use the gluten free flours like regular flour. I will definately make sure I grease my pan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a great shot of that Admiral butterfly! Thanks for letting me know about it!

    Your view of the lake is so lovely!

    No knead bread...now that is intriguing! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good girl darlin'! I love Chuck..my daughter has eaten at one of his restos several times..me never!KUDOS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! How crappy were my posts back then!

    ReplyDelete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....