Wednesday 26 November 2014

Italian Chicken Soup.....Yum!





While making my Chicken Soup last week...

I inadvertently turned into something very special...indeed! 

Instead of adding 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes...

I added....

Well....

Now...

Before I go any further...let me explain!

I added the tomatoes to my last batch of chicken soup...and discovered that it really added a deep richness to the soup...

I had frozen the other 1/2 can...in a small plastic container... 



 I decided this time...I would once again...add the tomatoes...

Over to the freezer...grab the small container...set it on the counter to defrost...while I prepared the rest of the ingredients...

When it was time to add the tomatoes...it was defrosted around the edges...but not all the way through...

Being a hasty nut...as I usually am in a hurry to get to the next thing...I plopped it in...still frozen...put the lid on the pot...and went about my business...

When I returned a while later...to stir it...I noticed a few ingredients that I had not put in!

Red peppers...zucchini...mushrooms...bok choy....blah blah blah...

I asked my boyfriend if he had added red peppers to the soup...and honestly...as soon as the words came out of my mouth...I thought..."Really Linda??? Boyfriend... chopping veggies and adding to the soup??? Get a grip on yourself.....geesh".....hahaha!

What I had actually added to the soup....was the vegetarian spaghetti sauce I had made the week before...frozen what was left...for future use...

Anyhoo....

It certainly gave the soup an even richer more robust flavour than the plain tomatoes...I like both...for different reasons...

A most happy mistake...for sure!! 

**** Hey Deb....I added the Basil Sprig again! Always makes it look so darn professional,EH???  tee hee hee....:o)

Add some crusty bread...a green salad...DEEEELICIOUS!






































         Hope you are all having a great day.....

               Very dull and drab here...not even a hint of sunshine...1*c...

                  At least those insane winds have gone elsewhere...bye bye!!

                        Had Miss V for lunch and the afternoon...

                               After her 2 hour nap....

                We got outside with her...more raking at the front...  

           And I cut some greens from the backyard...for my planters!
                    
                          I really gotta get some decorating started...

     The boyfriend and I are dining on Pepper Steak over No Yolk Noodles...

               With a loaded spinach salad to start...

                         Enjoy your evening...

                  Got a new crochet project to start...very excited!

                       Cheers!  :o)
                            linda


39 comments:

  1. Looks a lot like my Italian chicken soup and photos! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how the best meals are created!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, that looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might have hit on a top recipe there . . . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eddie....
      It will be a regular around here......for sure!
      Hi to Peter for me♥️

      Delete
    2. Peter sends a big sloppy wet kiss . . . . . ugghh! . . . . . . .lol
      He was a delight today and I taught him how to use a fork . . . . . :)

      Delete
  5. Your 'mistake' soup looks delicious! Too funny how it happened. It's snowing to beat the band here tonight. A biggie with up to 30 cm. before it's over. So they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Pam......you sure get wild weather out there....it will look pretty though!

      Delete
  6. I smiled as I read today's blog because it felt as if I was reading a culinary novel. Nice that you had Miss V. for a little while. Had my snow tires put on, so that kind of messed up the day and I didn't make it to S. Common. Dinner was potato//zucchini soup, BBQ turkey burgers with steamed brussel sprouts. Glad that this boyfriend braves the cold to BBQ. Your soup looks yummy and I'm sure that it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hester!
      Well, I am glad I didn't go then! It wouldn't feel the same without you!
      You are so lucky that your boyfriend BBQ'S!
      Potato zucchini soup? Awesome.......recipe please!

      Delete
    2. I actually felt that I was abandoning you, in case you showed up! :) The soup's an easy one. 2 onions, 2 sweet potatoes, 3 potatoes, 2 zucchini all cut in chunks. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and lots of fresh dill and any spices that you prefer. Simmer for 30 minutes, the next day I purée in blender. Enjoy!

      Delete
    3. Awwwwww...how sweet! You would have been in big trouble if I had shown up!
      When my daughter asked if we were getting Miss V.....my decision was made♥️
      Thanks for the recipe.....can I leave it chunky? Fresh dill? Very interesting!

      Delete
  7. I love this soup and I love the basil you put in the top!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Only a great chef like yourself would notice that!
      Thanks dear......

      Delete
  8. Will you be able to repeat this delicious meal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like those "delicious mistakes" in the kitchen!! Happens quite frequently around my house when I'M piddling around the stove! I can just smell your soup... and the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Don!
      Hey....no "piddling" in the kitchen! hahaha!
      The soup is spectacular!

      Delete
  10. Hey, Linda. I add tomatoes and chicken stock together like this as well. And I agree, it really really builds a nice combo of flavours. So good. Love your picture and what a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy....gonna make some soup this weekend...haven't decided which yet...but...I may try some cabbage soup!

      Delete
    2. My mom recently made a cabbage and pork pasta dish that she loved. Lidia's recipe. But so help me, I can't spell her last name.

      Delete
    3. Your Mom or Lidia? Hahaha!
      I know the one you mean....Italian....her son is on Master Chef....bald guy.....right?
      Boogie boogie!

      Delete
  11. Looks very hearty and tasty! Good thing that the container you grabbed happened to complement the flavours... who knows what could have happened! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      Could have been Swiss Chalet Sauce! hmmmmmmmm...I wonder! hahaha!

      Delete
  12. Happy mistakes are always the best Linda. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as lucky with my mistake a few days ago. (If you missed the post, I made my Ugly Apple Cake and forgot to add the flour, then when I did add it, I forgot to turn the oven back on. Needless to say, glue!)

    Your soup looks delicious and just perfect for these snowy days. Not today though because...we're having turkey, lol...Thanks for sharing, Linda...enjoy that soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ~~Louise~~...
      Oh dear...that is not good! and pray tell....how did you forget the flour? Having a Seniors Moment? :o)
      enjoy your Turkey....gobble gobble!

      Delete
    2. Worse than a senior moment, I was trying to record the healthier version of the recipe, lol...

      Delete
  13. Oh I hate this Google acct. crap! Alrighty so....what is Miss V doing that she is still sleeping for two hours! Wow...she must go like a little fire cracker all morning! Lucky you....Stacey did that long nap but Krista...no way just got into "crap" in her bedroom for two hours. Naps for her ended pronto!! What crochet project are you up to? I taught myself over this past year and scarves are everywhere.....time for a bit of a challenge - any ideas? Soup sounds good....don't you just love when a mistake turns out to be the best! May I drop over for a tasty treat at your house soon? Sure wish I could. Get those Xmas decorations crackin' - I did mine last week and love looking at the little twinkling lights.....oh so lovely with a nice glass of red wine with me, myself and I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa.....slow down!
      I'll send you an email......chill out! More wine?

      Delete
  14. That soup looks very VERY professional, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue....
      Why....thanks! I try my best...striving for greatness! hahaha!
      How are you doing??

      Delete
  15. YUM!!!
    sometimes accidents are the best outcome of all. your pictures are Martha~Envy !!!
    i . . . yes . . . your peep who does not cook . . . at least . . . i DO make soup.
    and a pretty mean soup if i do say so myself! i always make WAYYY too much. so i eat it for days.
    not too keen on freezing it. but i really should. otherwise i tend to burn out on it after the 8th dayth! LOL. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you make terrific soup...you should freeze some...it is like having a work free meal...just pull it out of the freezer...thaw..enjoy!
      I could eat soup everyday!

      Delete

Oh...I do love comments....no anonymous comments allowed...and you know who you are....